Thursday, January 31, 2008

Weird things

There are people who hang up the phone as you are talking to them, cutting you off in mid-sentence. There are those who don't say hi when they answer the phone and know it is you -- they say "mmm" (HOWW ruuude) and then those who hang up without saying bye.

Also, don't like those who respond to your phone 'hi, are you busy?' with a resigned 'Tell me'. That's lukewarm, to say the least. May as well say 'yes, bit busy..later?'

Then there are those who laugh noiselessly. Worse, there are those who shake their shoulders on pupose while laughing, supposedly to convince others that they are indeed laughing. Annoying habit.

Many hide whatever they are feeling with laughter and happy talk. Heck, I do that myself sometimes.

Then come those who laugh at their own jokes...alone. Nope, I ain't one of them...yet! But the world is getting weirder and weirder by the day that I consider often, of going with the saying: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em'.

3 comments:

Radha said...

I have to plead guilty to not saying hello when I know who's on the line - but I don't greet them with "mmm".

Then again, my phone manners I learned from my grandfather - he would get right to the point (just loftily assuming that everyone would recognize his voice), and set the phone down immediately after he was done making his point - sometimes without any warning to the person at the other end :P

I'm not quite that bad, but I do tend to forget to say hi or even identify myself, especially when I'm leaving a voicemail... You don't know how many times I've called back to say "oh by the way, that was me" :D

You've got a definite weirdo for a cuz, Teesu. I'm sure you knew it already (to forestall the inevitable joke), just confirming for all the world to know :D

umm oviya said...

my colleague always answer the phone 'uhmmm' -- which is bloody annoying. 3 years of ticking him off has had no impression.
uhmmm to that

Shammi said...

If I ever answer anybody with an "mmm" or "tell me", you can be certain that it's a lukewarm feeling towards them, at best :)